Church History

Brief History of the First Presbyterian Church in Lebanon, IN

Our history here. Below pictures supposed to be old church photos.

More Church History Here

Hopewell UPC


Strawtown Road (Indiana 47) and Elm Swamp Road

Clinton Township, Boone County, Indiana

The pictured edifice erected in 1904; abandoned in 1965; and razed in 1968. From founding of Hopewell in 1837, congregation worshiped in a log building until a frame church was built in 1852. The latter was succeeded by the third and last structure. Hopewell United Presbyterian Church, South, merged with the First United Presbyterian Church of Lebanon, Indiana, on December 31, 1965, following action on a joint petition of the two churches at a special meeting of the Crawfordsville Presbytery on December 21, 1965.

(Photo in 1965 by JOHN MCCOY MILLER and presented by him to the church)

Salem (Mud Creek) UPC


Emigrants of Scottish-Irish blood, Associate-Reformed and Presbyterian faith settled in the Mud Creek woods of Clinton Township, Boone County, and chose a site for a church and cemetery. Indiana Presbytery organized the congregation of 18 charter members in 1837. Logs were hewed for the building and boards were split for pews and a minister's platform. In 1854, a new frame building seated 500. The last building was erected and dedicated in 1899. A Centennial Celebration was held in 1937 with an active roll of 110 members. Following World War II, membership dwindled as young families moved because of jobs. In 1972, the church was closed. The building was razed, but Mud Creek Cemetery remains. Several members joined First Presbyterian Church, Lebanon.